This raw italian bread is a great alternative for anyone who wants to live gluten-free but still misses traditional bread from time to time. They’re fluffy, almost as if they were baked and are very suitable for the quick preparation of delicious Mediterranean sandwiches.
Essentially, this raw bread consist of buckwheat flour and almond pomace (ground almonds are also possible). Thus, they’re not only gluten-free, but are metabolized from largely basic ingredients.
Sprouted buckwheat can be used for optimal nutrient supply and digestibility. The germination process increases the nutrient content many times over and the valuable proteins become easier to digest. The psyllium husks ensure a great consistency and zucchini makes the bread a little moist.
You can find out more about buckwheat and sprouted buckwheat in particular in the article, “Buckwheat – Nutritious and Digestible“.
RAW ITALIAN BREAD
- 1 cup almond pomace, or finely ground almonds
- 1 cup buckwheat flour, or sprouted buckwheat
- 1 zucchini (about 300g), peeled and roughly diced
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cocktail tomatoes and 10 black olives
- Rosemary if desired, cut small
- Mix buckwheat flour, almond pomace or flour, psyllium husks and salt in a bowl.
- Puree zucchini, lemon juice and date syrup in a high-performance blender, pour over the flour and knead into a dough.
- Add a little water if necessary, season to taste and form into small loaves.
- Decorate with chopped tomatoes and olives.
- Dry loaves for 4-5 hours at 42° C (107° F) in a dehydrator.
We keep our bread in the fridge, cut it lengthways before eating it and dry it again in the dehydrator for 1–2 hours.
The bread can be topped with avocado, tomato, cucumber and sprouts to your heart’s content. They can also be prepared for a Raw Vegan Burger.
Would you like to join our unique, based on nutritional sciences and practice-oriented training program for gaining a high level of health?
We are more than happy to inform you about our training program on our website!